Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Bourbon Milk Roll Cake ふわまき ミルクケーキ




I'm a big fan of roll-cake. Especially the roll-cake from Japan. It tends to be very soft and moist, with a light fluffy cream in the middle.

This roll-cake from Bourbon is no exception. When I was a kid, when my mum made sandwiches for me she used to cut off all the crusts, and then I used to pound it down so it was really flat. This roll-cake reminds me of that because it has a similar texture to flattened white bread that has just been baked. It is perfect.


The cream inside is combined from two types of cream. It doesn't say exactly which types of cream on the packet, but it does say it has butter, full cream milk, raw cream, and cream powder. The cream has been whipped and is light and fluffy - hence the "fuwa" part of "fuwamaki" on the pack. "Fuwa" meaning fluffy and "maki" meaning roll, literally "fluffy roll".



The roll cake has the scent of vanilla and it looks like a cow. Not in shape, but in colour - it has the pattern of a dairy cow on the outside - white with dark brown spots. The brown parts have a slightly bitter cocoa flavour. The cake is soft to eat and the fluffiness of the cream goes with it perfectly. The cream tastes very milky, so in all it's a party of vanilla and cream in my mouth.

I shared this with Yasu and we both really enjoyed it, but it was over too soon! Wish I had more of these... I definitely recommend trying it!



Brand: Bourbon
Calories per pack: 179
Website: http://www.bourbon.co.jp

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks super yummy(:
And I love how it "looks like a cow." xD
Can I ask how much this cost?

Tasty Japan said...

Sorry, I missed your comment. I don't actually know how much it cost because it was a gift from a friend. If I find out I will let you know. Or if anyone else knows please post in the comments. :)

Post a Comment