Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Oshiruko Kit Kat


I've read quite a few reviews on the internet about this Kit Kat and most of them said they hated the taste and smell.

I mainly bought this Kit Kat for Yasu as he is such a big fan of Azuki, and Oshiruko in general.

I am also a bit of a fan of Azuki flavoured snacks.

Oshiruko is a traditional Japanese red bean soup served in a bowl with rice cakes. It is truly yum.

The Oshiruko Kit Kat is milk chocolate on the outside, which is a nice change. I had expected it to be azuki colour.

From the milk chocolate you can smell the earthy scent of the beans. I have been to Azuki farms in Hokkaido, so I am familiar with that earthy scent, that some people mistake for an almost rotten smell. Some people just can't stand the smell, but I love it!

The chocolate is quite soft and melts easily. Underneath the earthy smell is a kind of roasted smell of the beans. The scent itself has depth, which is great.

The milk chocolate has a texture, just like the red bean soup. It's like red bean has been ground and added to the milk chocolate, then poured on the wafers. This is truly delicious.

There is red bean paste in between the wafers, just a small amount, but just enough to alight a deeper flavour of Oshiruko in my mouth.

The end note is a roasted bean flavour, followed by the sweetness of Azuki. Oh, this is heaven. I have really enjoyed this. The depth of the flavour reminds me of being in Tokachi, at the Azuki farm.

I am in love with this Kit Kat. It's probably my favourite of all time. Yasu also really enjoyed this one and said it was true to taste, and that it's also his favourite.

Maybe it takes diehard Azuki fans to appreciate this chocolate, and also I think If you have never been to an Azuki farm, you might not know what that smell is, and associate it with something awful, so that's why I think alot of tasters on the net, had trouble with this Kit Kat.

As of now I'm searching on eBay for more of these....

9 comments:

Orchid64 said...

Heh, clearly, we couldn't have dinner together. We have very different tastes!

However, I can and have eaten (and smelled) red beans and red bean treats, so I don't tend to think my issue is with the Adzuki itself. I think it's just the way it comes across in this confection.

shufuinjapan said...

Hey Kelly, I haven't seen that one on the shelves...maybe cause I'm trying to avoid eating it! But I can't say I would rush out and buy one...not a huge fan of 和菓子(wagashi) japanese sweets although in a sugar craving pinch I have been known to eat daifuku with koshian inside.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I stumbled upon your blog while doing some kit kat research of my own. I recently published my own post on Jasmine Tea kit kats and Apply Vinegar ones too!

P.s. the oshiruko one was great, but my favourite will always be the peach-chocolate one. Did you try it?

Anonymous said...

apple not apply sorry!

Kelly said...

Oh yes, I love the peach one, you are talking about the striped one aren't you? Have you tried the peach mini's which I also recently reviewed? http://sweetpursuit.blogspot.com/2009/05/peach-kit-kat-minis.html

Anonymous said...

No, I haven't yet. I'm not really a fan of the non-cocoa-chocolate based flavors. I've never been a fan of white chocolate or fruit chocolate, which seems to be everywhere here in Japan.
Although, I have to say I do love Japanese peach flavor, so perhaps I should try it anyways.
The peach kit kat I was talking about was brown chocolate with pink peach stripes. Is that the same one you are thinking of?

Anonymous said...

Also, another flavor I had last year was a McFlurry Caramel Macchiato. I wasn't so good.

Kelly said...

Yeah that was the peach I was thinking of. That was really nice. :)

Mind if I add your blog to my list? :)

Anonymous said...

No problem!

Post a Comment